Replacing Shutoff Under Sink

Old 11-04-06, 08:02 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Shutoff Under Sink

Hello,
My shut off valve to the hot water line on my kitchen sink will not shut off. I need to do a replacement of my faucet. My question is, can I shut off the main water supply line out in my yard, and then shut the electric off to my hot water heater, and then turn on my faucets if the hot water line will drain so that I can remove the faucet?
Thanks

Old 11-04-06, 08:27 PM
You should be able to turn off the hot water to the house at the water heater. The cold inlet will have a valve on it. You can turn off power to the tank if you want but since you're not draining it you don't have to. Just open a hot faucet to let out pressure and have a bucket ready to catch some water when you D/C the supply.

Old 11-05-06, 04:50 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
This would be a good time to replace the shutoff valve under your sink also.... though that can be tough without the proper tools to remove the crimped compression ring (assuming it's a typical compression fitting). I've found, quite often, that I can take the valve assembly from a new one and simply change it with the valve assembly from the old one and get a perfect fit/seal. Then, I've got the balance of the new valve with me in the event it doesn't fit - and I need to replace the entire old valve.

Old 11-05-06, 07:39 PM
J
Thanks guys, I am going to shut the cold supply off to the water heater, and drain the line by opening up all my faucets, and then go to work on the kitchen.
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: