Seat Valve Removal (Gerber)

Old 11-05-06, 02:58 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Seat Valve Removal (Gerber)

In attempting to change the leaky diverter stem valve of our 30+ year old GERBER Tub / Shower faucet, we managed to strip it so bad that we the seat valve wrench just turns around freely inside.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I used peneterating oil and let that sit in before trying to pry it off, I've even tried to use a long nose pliers to see if I could budge it. But nothing seems to work. I thought about chipping it down little by little, but I'm afraid of damaging the treads.

We're desperate. It's the only tub in the house.

Thank you!

Geri

Old 11-06-06, 07:22 PM
If you are extremely careful and make sure that the seat removal tool isn't bottoming out on the back side of the faucet.....I would tap that tool into the seat until it grips.

The material is soft to begin with and will score a new groove if you tap it in with a hammer. If you get too aggressive you will either bottom out the tool against the back side of the faucet or even worse, bust a hole through the casting globe of the valve. Not a good situation.

They make oversized seat tools but are hard to find, buying another seat tool and cutting a small section off the end of it will serve the same purpose.

Old 11-06-06, 11:40 PM
M
fixed!

We went to the local plumbing supply store and he said the exact same thing. But he did sell us this bit called Easy Out, that we tapped into the seat valve a little. Then, hubby turned it, and off it went!

Thank you!

Old 11-08-06, 07:09 PM
Glad to hear it all worked out for you. I could of mentioned the easy-out technique but sometimes that can distort the valve body threads if someone really gets rough with it.

It sounds like you got past that so all is good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: