Air in Water Lines

Old 11-06-06, 10:13 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air in Water Lines

I have a 2 year old house, and I have noticed a couple nuisance things in the plumbing. The first is whenever the water softener is running, the pipes make a kind of rumbling sound, almost like there is a ton of air in the line.

The second is in the kitchen. I have an Insinkerator instant hot water dispenser, and the thing makes loud clunks whenever it is heating. When you try to run all of the air out of the thing, air bubbles can be observed coming out of the spigot constantly, no matter how long I run it, there's still air coming out.

Is it possible for there to be that much air in the water coming from the city that it can cause these problems? If so, is there a way to get the water out? If there is truly that much air in the pipes, I'm guessing a water hammer arrestor would simply fill up quickly and stop helping. Thanks for any help or suggestions you may be able to give me.

Old 11-06-06, 07:04 PM
In regards to the water softener.....if this happens during regeneration then possibly it might be the piping isn't supported going into the softener/adjacent piping...?

On the insta-hot, I've owned them for years and the model with the very small black reserve tank will do just as you mentioned.

That tank never gets cleaned and it starts to fill up with calcium....not only on the walls of the tank but on the element as well.

It will eventually break/start to leak. The newer models are designed with a stainless steel compartment.

Turning the heat down slightly might resolve the air spitting. Go to insinkerator's website and open the PDF file regarding the troubleshooting of insta-hots.

Old 11-07-06, 08:09 PM
P
Unfortunately (at least from a troubleshooting perspective) all of the pipes in the utility room where the water softener is are clipped in well, and the noise seems to be coming from inside the softener. Maybe I'll have to have it looked at.

The Insinkerator has been looked at by one of their contracted techs, and he told me that he didn't know what the problem was. To clarify, it doesn't spit air when it's heating, it clunks when it's heating. When the water is running though, there's a constant stream of bubbles that never ends. If this is just a part of the normal heating of it, and it is calcification, I guess I'm just destined to buy a new one. Thanks for your response, I appreciate the info.

Old 11-08-06, 07:16 PM
The water softener issue is most likely plastic components wearing out inside the assembly and the calcium deposits in the insta-hot is causing like a fizzure of bubbles when heating.

Too bad you can't clean that model. It would be a difficult task if you could though.

Old 11-11-06, 06:57 AM
P
One more thing on the Insinkerator, the air bubbles come through in perpetuity even when the unit is unplugged and has not been heating for a month. That's why I was convinced the air was a problem. I will look into getting a higher-end model, thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: