Washer Backup into washtub

Old 11-08-06, 02:21 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washer Backup into washtub

I just remodeled a basement bathroom and am having problems with the washer backing up into the wash tub. Heres a run down of the drainage connections

Cast iron ~3" pipe coming from concrete floor which goes up to the main level and supplys drainage for kitchen sink and dishwasher, this is connected to a vent on that floor. Back in the basement where is comes from the floor there is also a T which connects to the washtub/washer. 5ft of this (1.5" abs) is behind a finished wall then a 90deg (Actually 2x45degs) to reach half-finished wall. From here about a foot in there is a p-trap, another foot is a T which leads to washtub (no trap) and another 4ft down the run a 90 (2 45's) which point up, then lead 39" up to a washbox. All this has about 8" grade which should be plenty.

Unfortunately since everything is finished there is no access to tie into a vent. What are my options?

Would removing the in-line trap and placing one for the washtub and one for the standpipe help? What about a loop vent or cheater vent? Where would that connect? Everything is newly finished so clogs are not a problem. It is also a newer appliance, which i geuss should be using 2" pipe but its a little late now.

About 4liters will backup and then drain out as soon as the washers pump stops.

Thanks for any help

Shawn

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-06, 11:05 AM
S
I tried adding a loop vent on the sewer side of the running trap, didn't help at all

Any suggestions?

Old 11-10-06, 06:14 PM
K
Are the washer and sink on the same side of the trap?

Old 11-11-06, 05:51 AM
S
Yes, they are both after the trap.

Old 11-11-06, 11:39 AM
T
I could be wrong - but in my experience, a washer discharge really needs a 2inch discharge pipe - It puts out a ton of water, really fast - and if it can't drain fast enough, it will send the water into the washtub.

Old 11-11-06, 02:55 PM
K
Both behind the trap it will back up into the sink. Do you have room for a check valve? Not sure it will work and may make the sink clg more often. Its the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 11-11-06, 03:57 PM
S
Will adding a trap at the washtub help at all? I have access to all the plumbing after the first 90 (Before that is just a straight run anyway).

Thanks for your help

Something else i will try; In the current setup, the drain for the washtub T's out of the main line on a 45deg, mabey pointing that straight up (90deg) will make the path a little less easy for the water to climb?

Old 11-12-06, 06:41 PM
K
It won't the washer puts out water to fast. Try putting the stopper down in the sink. I think you'll end up with a flapper check valve 0r open the wall.

Old 11-13-06, 01:34 PM
If you plug the sink the water could overflow the washer's stand pipe flooding the room. Also putting a vent after a trap will help deplete the trap letting sewer gas enter the home.

A loop vent is only really used for a sink which sinks little water for a short amount of time (like a bar sink). For a washing machine that can fill up a drain pipe for a long time it wouldn’t help.

If it was me I’d replace it all with 2” pipe back to the stack. Take out the inline trap and trap the sink after it breaks off the drain pipe. Add a 1.25” revent going back to the main stack as close to the washer as possible. Then put in a trap for the washer right after the take off for the revent (so it goes vent=trap=washer). If I couldn’t run a new vent then I’d use an AAV (if local code allows).

That is a lot of work. Maybe you’re best off letting the washtub serve as a buffer for the washing machine. It’ll keep the washer from backing up from the slow drain.