Main Line Water Leak

Old 11-13-06, 08:09 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California
Posts: 9
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Main Line Water Leak

Hello. I am having problems fixing the main water line to my home - which developed a leak recently. The line is 1.5" thick. I've repaired sprinkler line up to 2" before, but for some reason I can't get this one to work. I cut about 8" out of the line, put the couplers on - then could not get both ends on the line. The piece must have been too long. I cut a shorter piece, was able to get both ends on, but now there is a drip near one of the ends (apparently it was a hair too short). I don't know what the problem is, but I can't figure it out. I can keep playing this game all of tomorrow, but if I'm going to have to hire someone, I should probably just do it, since I've already invested the afternoon with this (mainly waiting for the line to drain thoroughly).

How do I get a piece that can be placed into the break and fit properly? At my previous home, I made such repairs somewhat regularly without problems. I may have higher pressure water at this new home.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

Old 11-14-06, 04:27 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,607
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Making repairs in buried main lines is problematic at best. You will need to use couplings that have no divider line in them so you can overexend one end of your pipe. Here's where it becomes tricky. With your pipe cut, cleaned and supported, cut a length of pipe 1" shorter than your gap. Install one coupling on your main and stub pipes after properly priming and gluing with something like Rain'r'Shine. It will adhere even under water, so if you have residual water in the pipe it won't matter. Quickly glue both ends of the remaining pipe and inside the coupling. Slip the coupling on one end, align it with the pipe and immediately slip it partially back on the remaining pipe with a 1/4 twist. You have 15 seconds to do this. So if you have any reservations about doing it, you may want to call a plumber to do it. It is nerve wracking at best.
Old 11-18-06, 06:16 PM
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Instead of solvent weld fittings, there are two other types of fittings that will work. Compression style, coupler with threaded ends with gasket. The other is a gasketed slip coupler, solid coupler with rubber gasket on ends, you need to bevel the pipe with this one and need to use pipe soap (lubricant) veggie oil works in a pinch

edit either one of mine you can do it with water in the ditch

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: