Replacing Tub drain

Old 11-19-06, 05:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Replacing Tub drain

Does anyone have some advice regarding how to get a stubborn bathtub drain out?

I bought a dumbell tool and a tuning fork looking thing.

I tried connecting channel lock and locking wrenches to the dumbbell and can't get enoguh pressure to torque it. I've tried using different types of rods to get enough torque but end up bending most things (the holes to use are not very big).

The tuning fork tool is not really wide enough to cross over the cros in the middle, so it doesn't get a lot of torque on it, either.

I've tried putting pliers in backwards andjust bend the handles.

Wondering if there is a trick.

Old 11-19-06, 07:31 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You should be trying to turn the locking nut underneath the drain, not the drain itself. The "dumbell tool" is used to keep the drain from spinning as you turn the locking nut in stubborn applications. Once you get the locking nut off - you can then work out the drain itself, which is probably locked down with silicone, making it nearly impossible to break free.

Old 11-20-06, 04:23 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hmmm

Thanks for the reply. You are probably right.

However, how do I access the locking nut underneath? I did not want to pull the tub (not sure I could).

Old 11-20-06, 09:03 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You have to come up from underneath the tub - meaning tearing out the ceiling underneath it enough to access the drain. Sorry - I know it's not what you wanted to hear.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: