time to replace old water pipes?

Old 11-21-06, 07:21 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
time to replace old water pipes?

i went to southern arizona for the winter last year. we winterized our 50's era house when we left. when i came back and turned the water on the valves were all plugged up. looks like the pipes(glavanized steel) are deteriorating inside, and debrie was flushed into the valves. from the outside there are no leaks and they look fine. the water looks and tastes ok too. should i consider replacing the pipes? would i go with copper or just replace the galvanized steel? is this a project for a dyi er? the house is about 1300sf and has 2 bathrooms.

Old 11-21-06, 07:37 PM
Pipes Galvanized

Well The First thing I would is to Replace the pipe coming into the house if its not copper replace it Galvanized Pipes are ok but like you have seen they detrerate over time and you can have problems. So what I am saying the main thing is the Pipe coming into the house Should be a 3/4" copper and then you can go from there to replace all the rest of the pipes down the road

Hope this was some help

Danny

Old 11-21-06, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id also say replace it all now and be done with it. Now with the cost of the copper Id sure go with PVC sch 40 pipe. Dont take many tools to work with. Dont know the name of it but here we use a Blue color pvc from the city line into the home for the main line in Its rate is 200Psi@ 73o.
If you dont change it out you will have the block up all the time.

Old 11-21-06, 08:18 PM
D
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Id also say replace it all now and be done with it. Now with the cost of the copper Id sure go with PVC sch 40 pipe. Dont take many tools to work with. Dont know the name of it but here we use a Blue color pvc from the city line into the home for the main line in Its rate is 200Psi@ 73o.
If you dont change it out you will have the block up all the time.
so first thing is to dig up the line between the city water main and the house and replace it? what about where it comes into the house, and is encased in concrete? most of the pipes are in the basement and exposed. would i basically use all the same routes and slopes? seems it would be kind of a chore replacing the pipes yet keeping water running to parts of the house anyway. how long is pvc good for? and what about the hot water?

Last edited by driger; 11-21-06 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-21-06, 08:51 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Pvc is here to stay. I have some over 25 years old. The white just is not UV so dont use it out side. Ok for now dont dig. Put just a cheap filter on the water pipe where it comes into the home for sand and big junk. Go from there and do the whole home with Pvc pipe sch 40 and the cpvc pipe for hot. Go look at the pipe at Home Depot or Lowes . It just take a saw or cutter that just cuts the pipe . A knife and some PVC cement

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: