Clogged Kitchen sink

Old 11-22-06, 06:51 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Clogged Kitchen sink

My kitchen sink has two sinks with a drainage in each sink.
One drainage is for water draining only and the other has a garbage disposal. It seems both are clogged and when I put a plunger on either one it pushes water up to the other drainage hole.
I also tried draino and other chemicals and it is still clogged.

Please advise the best way to clear the drainage in my kitchen sink? Should I try a snake in both holes??

Old 11-22-06, 08:52 PM
try this...

the water pushes up the opposite drain because they share the same drain line under the sink. So, what you can do it fill the sink with enough water so the pipes are filled with water. Then put the drain plug in on one side and hold it in tightly while you plunge the other side. This with allow the pressure you build with the plunger to attack the clog and not blow out water on the other side of the sink. if you cant get it this way your gonna need to rod it. Its better not to use drain cleaner because if you do and it doesn't work, you get the gift of having to rod a drain with acid in it.

Old 11-22-06, 09:21 PM
first thing to try is to boil largest amount of water you can and pour it down the drain , usually its grease and this can sometimes melt it enough to get flow .

be careful though with the chemicals in there ,

Old 05-19-08, 11:56 PM
J
snake it jake right to the main-line!

Originally Posted by kensington
One drainage is for water draining only and the other has a garbage disposal. It seems both are clogged and when I put a plunger on either one it pushes water up to the other drainage hole.

Please advise the best way to clear the drainage in my kitchen sink? Should I try a snake in both holes??
Remove t line going into main and run a snake to unclog, suggest motorized snake for one man operation, feed snake downward towards main to unclogg. It is best to try this then to spend ninty dollars to do the same. Rent one for twenty dollars for four hours Home-depot of some other tool rental establishment!

Old 05-20-08, 12:00 AM
J
If this fails get a contractor plummer

Originally Posted by jamescrowder
Remove t line going into main and run a snake to unclog, suggest motorized snake for one man operation, feed snake downward towards main to unclogg. It is best to try this then to spend ninty dollars to have a plummer do the same. Rent one for twenty dollars for four hours Home-depot of some other tool rental establishment!
Let me know how she go!

Old 05-20-08, 12:07 AM
J
Go under sink where it goes into wall!

Remov lines where it goes into wall or however your foundation is ,you may have an outside cap so you do not have to remove yet it is a sharp angle to fish the line or snake motorized if possible.Plumbing and Piping Cleaning, fixing, installing, replacing drains, traps, mains, drainage, sewage, water and gas lines. Valves: ball, gate, directional, flow, pressure control, earthquake and regulation, etc. May play a part if this is your set up. Building plans ,Plumming if you have will show pressure valves etc. GOOD LUCK and happy fishing

Old 05-20-08, 07:15 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts

Have you removed the trap? If a plunger is pushing water between the sinks that means the clog is past the tee. Pull the trap and check if it is clear. If it is then the drain line is probably clogged. It's usually best to snake this from under the sink with the trap removed.

Old 05-20-08, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
See what happens..lol OP is from '06.

Old 05-20-08, 07:38 AM
Nice catch Gunguy45

I think they keep these for others with the same problem to read. I am new to this moderation stuff, so I don't touch them. But I should have caught that one also. I was reading it getting ready to add my reply.

For those reading my post here, I am pretty sure you can narrow the age of posts at the bottom of the page if wanted.

Old 05-20-08, 11:33 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I try to remind myself that whenever a reply is from a new member I should check the date of the OP. Obviously not foolproof.

I can understand why the posts are archived but I don't understand why replies to old posts are allowed.

Old 05-20-08, 12:34 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cwbuff
I can understand why the posts are archived but I don't understand why replies to old posts are allowed.
You and me both! I have made several suggestions that any thread that has not had a post for a year be closed to new posting but the answer is always that old posts are often new information to a new member.

I understand the archive but not the allowance of the new post on an old, old topic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: