drain problems

Old 11-26-06, 12:49 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
drain problems

My kitchen sink, with dishwasher and disposal, will not drain. Ive tryed drain cleaner, snake (15 ft) and it still will not drain.

Old 11-27-06, 04:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
You may have a venting problem. There is a vent pipe that goes directly through the roof and allows air to equalize the pressure in the pipes. A good example is placing a straw in a coke, placing your thumb on top of the straw and withdrawing it from the bottle. The liquid will remain in the straw until you equalize the pressure by removing your thumb. You have an obstruction in the vent pipe (compliments of your local squirrels). If you feel safe, go up on the roof with a garden hose and chug the vent pipe until the obstruction is cleared. This should help drain the sink.
I am curious as to how you ran a 15' snake through the sink drain. Did you remove the ptrap and wall tube prior to doing this?
OH, yeah, welcome to the forums!!

Old 11-27-06, 01:44 PM
J
I had this problem about twenty years ago. This was the first time my wife had ever used a garbage disposal. She was putting eveything down it and not running enough water.

Old 11-29-06, 09:26 AM
S
If there is an obstruction in the drain line, snaking 15 feet is usually not enough. You should really go out 75-100 feet. I would certainly check the vent stack first though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: