odor in kitchen cabinets over crawlspace - gets worse in cold weather

Old 11-27-06, 12:27 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
odor in kitchen cabinets over crawlspace - gets worse in cold weather

Have had crawlspace vented, painted with anti-mold formula & lined with plastic, sewerline checked - all without luck. Odor comes up into kitchen cabinets but only when whether drops below 50 degrees. Driving us crazy, any thoughts?

Old 11-27-06, 02:58 PM
J
Can you describe the odor?

Does it smell like sulfur or nitrogen [like B vitamins] or amines [fish]? Nasty sweetish? Acrid?

Old 11-27-06, 03:16 PM
M
Thanks for the help. IT's like methane or natural gas -- but Keyspan has been here a zillion times with their most sensitive readers & have also done the soap test on all gas connections.

Old 11-27-06, 09:21 PM
O
Odor in Kitchen Cabinets

I'm guessing the odor is coming from your Heating and Air Conditioning drain. When temperatures outside are warm and the A/C is running, condensation from the A/C keeps liquid in the drain trap. When the outside temp drops, the heat comes on and the water in the trap evaporates allowing sewer gas to enter your house and that is what you smell.

You can stop this by pouring water into the drain at the A/C unit in the attic. Mine has a cap which allows easy access and I can easily access the units in the attic. If you have to access the unit through an attic crawl space you have more of a challenge on your hands.

Old 11-28-06, 06:11 AM
M
Thanks, RO. I'll check it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: