replacing a gate valve

Old 12-03-06, 01:11 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy replacing a gate valve

Obviously from the question that is coming I am a very new DIYer, BUT...can you actually take apart a 3/4" gate valve to replace just the valve stem and gate? I have a 3/4" gate valve and the stem has obviously corroded and broken, but I CANNOT get the exterior valve apart to pull out the broken stem and gate valve. Is this even possible? Are they soldered together to prevent leaks? Is there enough WD40 and brute strength to help me or am I going to have to replace the whole valve? Thank you in advance!

Old 12-03-06, 04:09 PM
S
Now is a good time to replace that gate valve with a ball valve. My friend who works in for the city water works says to buy ball valves that are made in the USA. Cost is maybe $2 more than the ones made in China.

Old 12-03-06, 05:45 PM
T
It "will" come apart - someday.... Sounds as if it's corroded/frozen tight. You'll be better off replacing the entire assembly than trying to get it apart, find the proper replacements, putting it back together and remaining watertight/functional.

Old 12-04-06, 07:32 AM
Gate valve

Agree with the other posts, a total waste of time to try to repair a small gate valve, replace with a ball valve. Lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: