Hot Water, but no Cold Water

Old 12-07-06, 08:45 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Hot Water, but no Cold Water

Here's a riddle for you guys...hopefully someone can help.

I just had the main line replaced in my front yard (from the meter to the house). The guys had to dig a trench in order to lay the pipe and they tore out (with my permission) old sprinkler PVC pipes as they went.

When they finished, the pipe is good and does not leak. My hot water inside the house works fine, but I have no cold water. I am completely baffled by this and the plumber has no idea what is wrong. Can anyone help?

Thanks...

Old 12-08-06, 02:37 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just a long shot here as I am no plumber.

Did you or anybody open any line valves in the house? If so, do you have any gravity loops built into the plumbing? In order to service hot water effectively to fixtures a long ways from the water heaters, in some cases a gravity feed system is installed. It's nothing more than a return line on a hot water feed farthest from the heater. The theory allows for a natural circulation of hot water to keep lines from being so cold for a long time. This method cuts down on water consumption as a hot water tap does not need to run so long at far away fixtures.

If by any chance this has been built in to your system, you should notice a supply line teeing from the cold (inlet) side on your water heater. It should also contain a check valve (with directional flow noting arrow on valve back to heater) and returning in bottom portion of water heater.

Just a longshot and likely missing the mark.

bs5

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: