Take apart Ball Valve when soldering?

Old 12-08-06, 11:29 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Take apart Ball Valve when soldering?

Do you need to take a Ball Valve apart when soldering it in line just like you would have to do to with a Stop Valve?

I know the Stop Valve has rubber or plastic inside that could melt.. But I wasn't sure is this was the case with the Ball Valve.

Old 12-09-06, 04:25 AM
B
Nope,not at all necessary. Just see to it the ball is in the open position and try not to overdue. I have always seen to it he old stem globe valves are soldered w/o taking them apart either. I just make sure they are wide open and if possible I try to solder leads on these valves. When soldering, if it's possible it is nice to keep the joint being soldered above the body of the valve. I know sometimes this is not possible. Allways solder valves in the wide open position.

bs5

Old 12-09-06, 12:39 PM
M
I read somewhere that a ball valve should be closed when soldering (just the opposite from a rubber stop valve). The idea was to keep the seal from warping out of round. I'll see if I can find the info...

Old 12-11-06, 08:41 AM
Ball valve

Originally Posted by mwarney
I read somewhere that a ball valve should be closed when soldering (just the opposite from a rubber stop valve). The idea was to keep the seal from warping out of round. I'll see if I can find the info...
You are correct.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Old 12-12-06, 04:45 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mwarney
If you soldering into a closed system, the valve needs to be open, or the heat will build pressure, create a channel through the solder joint and it will leak.

If the end that you are soldering on is open-ended, then you can leave the valve closed, but most leave it open just the same.

The valve never actually leaves the seat, so it still has full contact in the open position anyway. If you are melting the seal, then you are taking to long to make your joint.

Old 12-13-06, 08:55 AM
S
I think the most important thing is not to overheat the valve. My friend who works for the city water works dept. says to only buy ball valves that are made in the USA. They cost a couple dollars extra but they will pay for themselves down the road.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: