copper tubing cutter

Old 12-08-06, 02:09 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
copper tubing cutter

Which way do I turn the copper tubing cutter, as I look straight ahead at the tubing I have the opening on the cutter to my left?

Old 12-09-06, 06:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I don't know that it really matters, since the cutter is already touching the copper at 180 degrees from the wheels. With the pipe laying flat and the cutter attached from underneath (opening up) and the handle toward me, I usually rotate upward so the wheel tends to drag on the pipe rather than push on it.

Old 12-09-06, 09:10 PM
G
copper tubing cutter

So then whichever way it is turned it's probably better if the cutter follows the wheels in the rotation? What if it keeps trying to jump off the tubing when using a mini cutter on an installed cold water inlet under a kitchen sink where there isn't room to use anything bigger? I just tried to get it a little tighter and hold it in place with some side pressure as I turned.

Old 12-09-06, 10:51 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

What if it keeps trying to jump off the tubing

Id say the cutter is out of line. Dont tighten it to tight and just go back and forth not all the way around the first few times. Make like just a mark on the pipe at first and tighten it up slow after each turn around the pipe

ED

Old 12-10-06, 05:03 AM
Like Ed said. I go back and forth and get a nice groove started then do the cutting. Slightly turn the knob each few revolutions of the cutter around the pipe. If you turn the knob too much and cut the pipe too fast you'll distort the pipe.

Old 12-10-06, 09:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
No matter which direction you turn it, the roller will always follow the cutter, since they are 180 degrees apart. The opening is there just so you can insert the pipe in the cutter. Just as stated in the other posts, don't tighten down too much and start a "pilot" groove before you continue with your cutting action, and tighten a little at a time.

Old 12-10-06, 06:17 PM
G
copper tubing cutter

I think I've got it now. I think also that if the tool is turned or pushed in one direction it is more likely to jump off the copper tubing than going in the other direction. Kinda wish it had a direction arrow near the handle or I could see a video or picture. I think if the handle is turned in the direction of the tools opening it might be less likely to jump off the copper tubing. I'm working with 1/2 inch copper tubing under a kitchen sink with a mini tubing cutter since it didn't look like there was room to turn a longer tubing cutter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: