PEX De-Crimping

Old 12-09-06, 11:57 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PEX De-Crimping

Is there an easy way to remove a crimp connector from PEX tubing? I've heard there is a De-crimping tool but I have looked all over town and no one seems to carry them. I was wondering if there is another way to get it off.

Thanks!

Old 12-10-06, 09:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Not sure why you would want to "decrimp" pex fittings. You should not use the old fittings back, and certainly should not use the old crimped pipe on a new or different fitting. Just cut the pipe behind the fitting, discard the old fitting and start over with new ends and fittings.

Old 12-10-06, 03:16 PM
M
Originally Posted by chandler
Not sure why you would want to "decrimp" pex fittings. You should not use the old fittings back, and certainly should not use the old crimped pipe on a new or different fitting. Just cut the pipe behind the fitting, discard the old fitting and start over with new ends and fittings.
Because it is a brass fitting 1/2" copper sweat to 1/2" PEX. The crimp is 1/4" from the brass "butt" and is probably fine but I would have liked to have the crimp a bit closer.

Obviously I would need to cut the pipe and start with a new end but why would I toss out a perfectly good brass fitting? (Not to mention unsweating the joint to install a new one). I know there is a tool for this.

Old 12-10-06, 04:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Knowing this in the first post would have gotten a different answer. That is why we are sometimes perplexed and have to ask questions. Look at ebay 280049389855 Is this what you want?

Old 12-10-06, 08:20 PM
J
Dremel tool .

Old 12-11-06, 02:59 AM
M
Originally Posted by chandler
Knowing this in the first post would have gotten a different answer. That is why we are sometimes perplexed and have to ask questions. Look at ebay 280049389855 Is this what you want?
Sorry for the confusion. This is the only type of PEX fitting that I am aware of. Yes, that is the tool. I already have the crimper but I can't seem to find the crimp remover anywhere locally (which brings me back to my question) is there another way to remove crimp rings?

Thanks

Old 12-11-06, 03:01 AM
M
Originally Posted by JimmieDee
Dremel tool .
Thanks! This sounds like the answer!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: