Cutting Cast Iron

Old 12-17-06, 02:37 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cutting Cast Iron

I have a 4 inch cast iron pipe in a cement floor and want to dig around it and cut about 6 inches off. This is to insert a Fernco fitting and a pvc pipe to set up for a PVC clamp drain.

Is there a tool I can use to cut the pip that doesn't require a lot of space... like a drill attachment? I know I can use a recipricating saw or a chain cutter, but I don't want to dig a huge hole if I don't have to.

If you want to see pictures, check out my blog... http://brooklineproject.blogspot.com/

Old 12-18-06, 09:15 AM
P
I just found this online...

http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Pipe_Working/Pipe_Cutters/42900.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=GS&utm_campaign=toolfetch&cm_ite=cast%20iron%20chain%20cutting%20tool

Of course, I don't want to pay $184 + to cut one pipe. Is this a tool typically available at tool rental shops?

Old 12-18-06, 10:52 AM
R
how about a cut-off wheel or angle grinder? Ace hardware sells mandrals and small 3" wheels that can chuck into a 3/8" drill if you do not have am air compressor for the pnuematic variety.

Wear hearing / eye / face protection yadda yadda.

Old 12-18-06, 11:47 AM
P
I wouldn't be able to get an angle grinder in the hole, but the cut-off wheel is a good idea.

Old 12-20-06, 10:22 AM
G
I just went through a similar situation and I hate to say it but it is not going to be as easy as you think it is.. You do realize that there is a vent line tied into that drain just under, or imbedded in, the concrete don't you? Once you start breaking up the concrete around the pipe where it sticks up, you will quickly run into the vent line, or any other waste line that might be tied to that drain.

My recommendation-since I just had to do this myself-rent the demolition hammer from H/D or Lowes. Should be about $54 for a full day rental. You will get the hammer (basically a jack-hammer that runs on 110 voltage), and all the tools you need to break up the foundation around the pipe. Once you start breaking it up, it is easy to make enough space to get a Sawz-All in and then cut your cast iron pipe stubb off. You can then use your sanitary tee, or whatever other plumbing pieces you need to make your connections again.

You will of course have to fill in the hole with concrete when you are done and smooth it over so that it is relatively level with the original foundation. Don't just use any type of concrete-read the label! There are some that are specifically designed for patching foundations.

I posted on here a while back about a vent drain that I needed moved and everyone said to hire a professional. After bidding it out, and seeing that my cheapest estimate was $1500, I decided to hire a plumber for CONSULTING purposes only. Each step of the way, he instructed me what I needed to do. Essentially he stood there drinking beer watching me. I spent $150 on consulting fees, $72.52 on the demo hammer (taxes & insurance!), $20 in concrete, and about $25 in fittings, and I did all of the labor myself. It took me about 4 hours on a Saturday to do it all.

The one thing you really have to be careful of is the height of the finished drain! If you are breaking into a stripped floor-meaning no tile or anything else in your way, take careful measurements. If you are working on a finished floor, you will be re-tiling around the finished work and this is going to greatly increase the level of difficulty on this project. Luckily I had ripped out all of my old tile and was down to foundation on my project so there was no concern about trying to save tiles around the hole that I made.

Good luck! Just remember, if in doubt, hire a professional. There are so many things that you think you know-but you don't have a clue about until the pros start telling you.. And most important-you CAN do ANYTHING you put your mind to.

Old 12-24-06, 05:37 PM
W
Received 43 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectBrooklin
I have a 4 inch cast iron pipe in a cement floor and want to dig around it and cut about 6 inches off. This is to insert a Fernco fitting and a pvc pipe to set up for a PVC clamp drain.

Is there a tool I can use to cut the pip that doesn't require a lot of space... like a drill attachment? I know I can use a recipricating saw or a chain cutter, but I don't want to dig a huge hole if I don't have to.

If you want to see pictures, check out my blog... http://brooklineproject.blogspot.com/
If your going to dig around it anyway, why not just jack hammer out the room you need and replace it with new concrete? Im no expert, but everything Ive seen for cutting pipe is from outside the pipe, not inside, (but it might be a good invention)

Old 12-26-06, 06:31 PM
P
Thanks for all the advice.

I have dug out part of the hole and haven't yet hit the vent (and I was wondering where it is anyway! ).

The project has slightly changed since. I found that there is a 8 inch tail piece that I hope I can just remove.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: