From single sink to double sink??

Old 12-17-06, 07:17 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question From single sink to double sink??

I will be replacing a single sink with a double sink in a master bath. Obviously the bathroom was only plumbed for a single faucet and drain setup, can I replace the shutoff valve with one that has 2 outlets and share the original supply, then just tap off the drain to the other sink? Thanks for the help.

Old 12-31-06, 09:47 AM
T
Hopefully someone will answer you soon because I need an answer on this too! My masterbath has only 1 sink. The counter is very long with 1 sink! Good Luck!

Old 12-31-06, 11:25 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can tap off the existing water supply for both sinks - and you can tap into the existing drain system for both sinks also.....

You may experience lower water pressure on the supply side if running both sinks full bore at the same time - but that's going to be a rare occurrance.

Old 12-31-06, 11:45 AM
U
I was going to split the drain in the wall where the 2" main stack goes to the first floor but it looks almost impossible to add another "Y" and have it seal right. Is it possible to have one "P" Trap at the original sink and run the new sink drain over to it, kinda like a kitchen 2 sink setup? Thanks.

Old 12-31-06, 12:31 PM
I dont see why not, - you'll probably just have a slow drain if both sinks drain simultaneously..but Im sure that's liveable.
ps
I would do a trap @ the other sink as well.

Old 01-01-07, 02:58 PM
R
Do not double trap a drain line!

The correct way would be to put a cross tee in the wall with a cleanout above it or, stack 2 sanitee's, and extend each arm over to the sink drain location where each sink drain has its own trap. as well as tee the supply lines and run them to the proper locations with stop valves. This is how I would do it.

I have the feeling that you are looking for the easy way out where you would install either an end outlet or, center outlet waste line similar to a 2 basin kitchen sink drain and wye the supply valves into doubles. This is something that would work but is kind of a handyman special.

Having a sink drain into a trap pick up waste from another sink and go into another trap. This is dead wrong a total hack method!

Old 01-01-07, 04:00 PM
U
I actually did tee off the hot & cold supply lines in the wall, and ran to proper locations for each sink. The problem I'm facing is making the drain work, there really isn't much room to work in the wall and it looks like it near to impossible to tap the 2" stack. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-03-07, 06:20 AM
Glad it worked out...and that you didnt take my advise...lol.
If I had to do this, I would be on this site asking the same thing you did.

Old 01-03-07, 02:33 PM
U
Glad it's over with...... It all worked out great in the end, and thank god for the invention of the Fernco Drain products, makes life sooo much easier. Thanks to all who contributed thier 2 cents.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: