Vessel sink not draining

Old 12-21-06, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vessel sink not draining

Just installed a vessel sink (bowl that sits on top of the vanity. It does not drain well. Most sinks have a hole near the top inside and I think that's what helps them drain. This sink does not - it is solid. So the sink fills up very quickly - and you need to shut the water off - then it will drain. How do I fix that???

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-06, 06:20 PM
The hole you mentioned was/is an overflow drain. It is no longer required, by code, to be manufactured into fixtures so they have disappeared. It was found that they were generally a damp, warm place ideal for bacteria to grow and this is the reason for the code change. It did not help with drainage in any form.

Now, to your problem. You have a drain problem. Either a partially clogged drain or a vent problem. (we'll make the assumption everything is vented or somehow done properly) Pull the p-trap and use a bucket, while running water, to see if your drain is open to that point. Then go from there.

Old 12-26-06, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the responmse - but I don;t think it is a drain problem.
1) the old sink drained fine
2) we pulled out all of the old plumbing and replaced it all when we installed the new sink

Once the sink fills to a certaqin level - then it starts to drain and it drains well at that point - but it has to fill up pretty far

Old 12-26-06, 11:20 PM
Not a plumber here, but did you install a vessel sink drain? As I understand, these are special for vessel sinks. This is suppose to solve the air problem that is impeding flow. http://www.nextag.com/vessel-sink-pop-up-drain/search-html

Old 12-27-06, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the response

As a matter of fact - I just asked my wife about when she went to order it - and the lady gave her a choice of a pop up drain - or just a flat thing with holes on it. She said she did not like the loos of the pop up - so she chose the other (just a flat piece of metal with hole in it). She thouhgt (as did I when she told me) - that it was just an asthetic thing more than a functional thing. I guess I wil have to try the pop up drain and see of that helps

Old 12-28-06, 06:41 AM
vessel and wind

as has been mentioned by removing the internal vent it has slowed or stopped the drain process. the pop ups are a little better but still slow things down. i have had complaints about every one i've installed. try the pop up. if its better cool, if not, it looks good....... gosh, who would have thought just a little internal vent would have such a big difference.