How to remove handle from Kohler shower

Old 12-25-06, 05:54 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to remove handle from Kohler shower

I have an 8 year old single handed shower valve control that I cannot figure out how to remove. I do not see any set screw on the underside, and it does not yield easily to my attempts to just pull it off.

It is "off" when the handle is pointed down.

I have tried to locate this fixture on the Kohler website, but it does not appear to be made any longer.

I cannot remove the trim ring without removing the handle. The trim ring does have two phillips head screws holding it in place.

As an aside, here's why I'm looking to get this off. My shower is leaking. We have a stand up shower with two separate heads and valves. I thought the tile/grout/pan was leaking, so I did a little experiment.

1. I put plastic on the suspected wall, except for the last 2 feet above the floor. My hope was to figure out where in the wall the leak occurred. Anytime someone took a shower, the leak would still occur, so I thought I had a bad pan.

2. I then decided to just use the other shower head, and not use the one that is normally used. Ever since then, we have not had a leak. I even let water run from the secondary shower directly on to the suspect wall for about twenty minutes, and still no leak.

3. My next experiment, just to confirm, will be to run the usual showerhead, but direct the water to the opposite wall, keeping the leaking wall dry. If the leak recurs, I know my problem is above the valve and in the connection from the valve to the shower head.

I want to pull the trim ring to see if I can see the leak. I also would like to be able to fix it from the valve's wall opening, but don't know how much clearance I will have. I have left over tile, so could pull a couple if needed, or I could access from the opposite side by cutting a hole in the sheetrock.

Anyway, any ideas on how to remove the handle?

Thanks,

Boris

Old 12-25-06, 06:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A picture would help, but here are a couple of thoughts:

See if there is any kind of "button" anywhere on the handle which may pry off to reveal a screw.

If there is a sort of cone shaped area below the actual lever, that cone may unscrew from the stem beneath it. It may be difficult to grab this without scratching. It probably started life only hand tight, so if you have good hands, and dry it off good, you might get lucky.. Or try a strap wrench.

Kohler sometimes is helpful on the phone. Try giving them a call. Maybe make this step #1 !!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: