Well...Another Dispute

Old 12-27-06, 04:58 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Well...Another Dispute

Recently vacated house in northern Minnesota, could get cold yet. Heat is set at 50 and main water turned off in basement.

Opinion 1) Leave the electric hot water heater turned on in case the house heat goes out, tank won't freeze.

I say: Turn the water heater off because you now have a closed system....city water but no meter or PRV that I know of nor an expansion tank.... when the water heater turns on the pressure will build and won't be kind to the plastic water lines and fixtures.

So....with son tired of arguing with mother and friend (her house and my ex) I told him to leave the water heater on but open a kitchen hot water faucet to relieve the pressure.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Baldwin

Old 12-27-06, 06:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Prv

Personally, the thing should be permanently disconnected and disabled if there is no PRV on the tank! You have a potential BOMB waiting to explode.

Old 12-27-06, 07:03 PM
B
Well...what I meant to say is there is no pressure regulating valve with a check valve in it, meaning an open system. I'm sure there is a T& P on the tank.

Its not my problem, house belonged to the ex-wifes mother.

Thanks

Old 12-27-06, 07:21 PM
other option

You could have him turn the two stats down to a lower temperature. But, that may breed bacteria. I assume from your post he is turning off the water supply where it enters the house?

Old 12-28-06, 04:10 AM
B
Why even leave the water heater on? If it's cold temps and freezing of the tank you are concerned with then what about all rest of the household plumbing? Not only that, but if it's an electric heater and the main is shut down that supplys the place, what if it somehow gets drained down below the elements? Now you have burned out heating elements. In less than an hour, a good plumber can drain and use compressed air to blow out that plumbing system sparing you or any other owner the expense of repairing frozen plumbing in a household system. If the place is empty for any length of time and there is any possibility of freezing, my choice would be to drain it. Better be safe than sorry.

bs5

Old 12-28-06, 02:05 PM
B
>>> Why even leave the water heater on?

Old 12-28-06, 06:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I never leave a water heater on when vacating a residence. I close up a bunch of homes for those who can't take the cold and go back to Florida for the winter, and shut off the water, fill all the traps with RV antifreeze (propolyene glycol) and turn off the water heater(s) off at the breaker. You stand much more of a chance of freezing an individual pipe than you would a 40 gallon water heater with insulation surrounding it. Leaving it on is a waste of money and unnecessary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: