Temperature Issues

Old 12-28-06, 05:00 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Temperature Issues

I have two bathrooms that share a wall and one of them loses hot water temperature in the winter months. The supply lines are shared to a point (obviously) and are fed from the furnace/heating system that keeps my radiators heated as well. The furnace works fine, but I can't understand why one bathroom supplies plenty of hot water while the other goes cold after only a minute unless I reduce it to a trickle.

I put a hot water heater in last year as a back up system, but the cost comparison makes this option the clear loser, especially in the winter when the burner is going to keep the house warm anyway.

Any ideas on what's wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DIYourselfer; 12-28-06 at 05:01 PM. Reason: misspellings
Old 12-28-06, 05:10 PM
T
temp. issues

you don't indicate if this valve was always like this or got that way over time. if the valve is newer i would bet its debris in the temp/balance valve or its just plain stuck. contact the specific manufacturer of your valve on how to flush it. it appears that the temp/balance valve is mixing in too much cold water.

Old 12-29-06, 06:20 AM
D
temp. issues

This is not a new valve. We moved into the house in the fall of 2004 and have seen this behavior each winter since. Again, it is only an issue when the weather gets cold. This makes me wonder less about the mixing valve and more about the coil from the furnace, but the fact that the other bathroom doesn't have the same issue seems to rule that out.

Any thoughts on how I can isolate the root cause?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: