Suggestions on splicing into existing pipe

Old 12-30-06, 12:04 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Suggestions on splicing into existing pipe

I need to splice into my 4" PVC sch 40 sewer pipe. It runs under the house in a crawlspace. I will be relocating the toilet about 6" in a remodel. If the pipe is connected to a sink upstream and another down stream making the pipe somewhat rigid. After cutting the pipel how do I work the 4" with 3" "T" on to the spiced 4" if It wont hardly move?

Do I just muscle it?

Should I use a rubber union (the one that has hose clamps?)

Any suggestions from the pro's would be good.

PS I've had to deal with this with buried water line and it was a pain.

Thanks
Mike

Old 12-31-06, 08:41 AM
pipe

If you don't have movement in the pipe, the only practical way is to use whats called a Fernco or Mission coupling, a rubber type coupling with hose clamps.

"I've had to deal with this with buried water line and it was a pain", I don't have a clue how that pertains to a sewer or waste line? Luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Old 12-31-06, 01:00 PM
B
Shacko,
Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling the rubber connector was the way to go. I was just making sure there was'nt some "pro-technique" that I was missing.

["I've had to deal with this with buried water line and it was a pain", I don't have a clue how that pertains to a sewer or waste line? Luck.]

This statement was meant to describe a similar problem when tying into a buried water supply line in my yard. After digging a hole to the line it remains very rigid when trying to "t" into it. I end having to dig pretty far in both directions for some play in the pipe in order to fit a T on it. Instead I ended up using a compression type union from HD.

Thansk again.

Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: