Locating main water line

Old 12-31-06, 05:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Locating main water line

Hi,

I am thinking about installing an (indoor) water softner unit in my garage next to the water heater. According to the manual I need to locate the main line that feeds the water to the rest of the house. I know the main feed line location outside the house, but I am not sure how to find it inside. Would it be near the heater?
I live in Florida, so there is no basement, all plumbing is buried in concrete slab. The house was build around 1992.
The heater plumbing is not clear to me either. The cold line (3/4") has another line (1/2") coming out of it (between the wall and the heater) and going back into the wall. Both segments have valves on them.
The pressure relief line has a line coming out of it (1/2") and going into the wall right before the pressure relief valve (between the valve and the heater). That "extra" line has a valve on it. The hot line (3/4") simply goes into the wall.
I tried closing all three valves. This does not seem to have any effect. Both hot and cold water keep running fine everywhere in the house. Short of all three valves not working properly I can not make sense ot of all this set up.
I checked with a few of my neighbours. They have similar plumbing around their heaters.
I would have posted a picture, but this forum does not seem to support that.

Does anyone know about this set up?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-06, 05:55 PM
Post photos at www.photobucket.com or other and post link here.

Old 01-01-07, 01:23 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hi, Just some ideas the pipe with the valves , 3/4 should be cold water supply to heater 1/2 could be a recirculating line or feed to something else. The popoff drain probably exits outside. The valves may be bad, when you turn off the 3/4 valve that should shut off the hot water.
When you use a water softener hose bibs are plumbed not to use soft water because soft water could kill your lawn. You can also just soften the hot water. That would keep the hose bibs on fresh water and make your job easier just remove the supply to the hot water heater and run that to the softener then from there back to the hot water heater.
Good luck Woodbutcher

Old 01-01-07, 08:12 PM
Photos are posted

All, thanks for the feedback. I have posted a diagram and a couple of photos. Here are the links:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sabitov/341910867/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sabitov/341910873/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sabitov/341910868/