Re-rout copper in basement throgh joists

Old 01-02-07, 06:42 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Re-rout copper in basement throgh joists

Hi - I am in the process of finishing my basement - this is going to be a long process. One of the first things that I need to do is move a few copper pipes that are currently below the joists.

I have two seperate locations to move. The longest stretch extends below about 6 joists. Is it possible to move a run this long to go through joists? I am wondering how I would feed them through? Also, is there another option that I can use (other than the current copper) I have 1/2 copper throughout.

Looking for any and all advice - thanks!!!!

Fred

Old 01-03-07, 10:13 AM
I am looking at the same issue. I have a run that I would like to push up into the joists. I am considering notching the joists and just pushing the pipe up into the notches and bracing them. There is considerable give in the pipes as they are, so this should work.

I haven't asked this forum if this is a good idea, so I guess that is what I am doing now.

So, maybe we can do it that way.

Old 01-03-07, 03:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
If you make the notches, be sure to span over the pipe with a "no nail" plate to prevent someone running a screw or nail into your pipe. Cutting holes and trying to fish hard copper through them will leave scratch marks on your head, due to it being so difficult. Just be sure not to notch too much into the joist, and not at all in bottom chords of a truss work. Now, if you have Silent Floor (R) then there are knock outs made just for this which make it much easier since the web is only 7/16" thick, rather than 1 1/2" thick like a 2x member.

Old 01-03-07, 04:52 PM
F
Question

I did not thinkg notching out a joist on the bottome was a good idea? I am pretty sure that I read that somewhere ??

Old 01-03-07, 05:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Cutting a notch 4" deep in a 2x8 is not a good idea. Cutting a notch 1/2" deep in a 2x8 or 2x10 wouldn't make or break the joist. You have knots that size on the bottom of the joists which amount to the same thing. If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, you could always nail a mending plate above each location on the side of the joist to increase strength in that area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: