Bad GROUND causing nickel finish to fail????

Old 01-05-07, 01:20 PM
Y
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bad GROUND causing nickel finish to fail????

Long story short, my plumber used flexible fittings (plastic, nylon?) to connect a very expensive tub faucet for me. It is satin nickel over brass. In less than one year, the plating started coming off. Basically, it looked like rust coming from underneath the plating.

The part has a 10 year warranty, so replacement wasn't a problem, but I don't want to have to go through this every year.

Is it possible that the non-metallic plumbing could allow some sort of induced current (from flowing water) damage the finish??? I ran a wire from the new fixture to a good electrical ground just to be safe, but I'm curious if this is even a possibility?

Thanks

Old 01-05-07, 03:34 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
There should be no current running in your water, induced or otherwise. What you have there is a basic bad valve with cheap plating, even though you may have paid alot for it. It should be replaced by the manufacturer without question.

Old 01-05-07, 04:42 PM
Y
It was, but I'm just trying to cover the bases. My plumber also put a valve in backward which has caused it to fail several time.

Thanks for the input!

Old 01-05-07, 05:39 PM
Just curious....what brand is your faucet?

Old 01-06-07, 06:09 AM
Y
bathtech/Newport Brass. It is a Roman Spout for a tub, and they are the only company that makes a piece that will fit the holes in our tub.

Again, they have been more than helpfull in correcting it, but turn-around time is several months, then getting a plumber out......

Just trying to avoid future problems.

Old 01-07-07, 03:34 PM
Tubs fixtures are a pain for me too, they erode while every other faucet in the house is ok.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: