Main valve coming into house won't close completely!?

Old 01-06-07, 03:33 PM
C
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Main valve coming into house won't close completely!?

Our house is older, and in the proccess of replacing the shower cold water valve I discovered there is no shut off valve anywhere between the knob in the shower and the main valve where the city water supply enters our garage. Even worse is that when I turn this main valve completely closed as hard as I can there is still a slight flow coming into the pipes- enough to make any water outlet in the house dribble constantly when open... Plumbing wise I have no idea what to do besides call a plumber.

Since nothing was really "broken" to begin with I'm contemplating not dealing with this for a while. But then I think- what happens if there's some kind of plumbing emergency and completely shutting off water to the house might be desirable!?

Is there usually another valve somewhere outside the house I should be looking for? Our main water pipe seems to dissapear straight into the cement of our garage!

Old 01-06-07, 04:50 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Call where ever you live's Water Department concerning the valve at the street.That is generally the responsibility of your local government,water provider,department of public utilities etc. and is associated with the water meter which is also their responsibility.

Houses may or may not have additional valves controlling water into the house.Some codes call for it some don't and some homes will be covered by grandfather clauses because they were built before code was changed if it has at all.

If you're going to call a plumber that is what to call him for....to install a whole house water valve.

Old 01-06-07, 05:03 PM
C
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the response,

I think I worded it badly- We do have a valve immediately inside the house where the main line comes in, which I assume is a whole house valve. However this is the valve that, when fully closed, still lets a trickle through.

In any case it sounds like a plumber will need to deal with fixing it.

Old 01-06-07, 07:32 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The valve needs to be repaired most likely because the washer that seals it shut is bad.Assuming that the valve is in good condition and relatively new it's not that hard to fix but you will have to decide if you are comfortable doing the job.You will have to cut off the water at the street,remove the valve stem and replace the washer on the other end of the stem.There are possible complications but you won't know if you'll have any until you get into the job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: