Fernco with a Lead Pipe

Old 01-06-07, 08:10 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fernco with a Lead Pipe

I've got an elderly plumber who's been plumbing since WWII who, today, just installed a fernco union between a 1 1/2" PVC and 1 1/2" lead pipe. I asked him if the fernco would work with the soft lead pipe, and he assured me it would.

I just did a quick web search, and, from the couple of sources I came across, it seems that my plumber might be incorrect.

Is it possible, that with very careful tightening (not tight enough to bend the lead) that a fernco might work? My plumber's the nicest guy in the whole world, so I know he's not BSing me, but I'm really crossing my fingers that he's not plain wrong.

Old 01-06-07, 09:39 PM
Y
Originally Posted by enter8
I've got an elderly plumber who's been plumbing since WWII who, today, just installed a fernco union between a 1 1/2" PVC and 1 1/2" lead pipe. I asked him if the fernco would work with the soft lead pipe, and he assured me it would.

I just did a quick web search, and, from the couple of sources I came across, it seems that my plumber might be incorrect.

Is it possible, that with very careful tightening (not tight enough to bend the lead) that a fernco might work? My plumber's the nicest guy in the whole world, so I know he's not BSing me, but I'm really crossing my fingers that he's not plain wrong.

No it won't. Lead won't work. Lead poisonous in a very bad way. Lead water pipes are illegal. Your only option should be to take the pipe out! No excuses no exceptions! Even as a drainage pipe it is not acceptable.

Old 01-07-07, 07:40 AM
Fernco to lead

I basically agree with the other post, I normally recommend to anyone that has lead pipe in a drainage system is to get it all out. If this is a concealed location there is no way I would do it, if it is exposed maybe, but you have to remember that it's probably a temporary hook-up; your call. Lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Old 01-07-07, 06:52 PM
Talking lead

Brass has up to 8% lead. What about faucets and fixtures, well components, and brass fittings on the supply side?

Old 01-07-07, 07:55 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
An old plumber did the same to my drain 18 years ago, it's still there, I'm still here and I don't think any harm has come to the neighborhood. Have a nice day. Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: