Laundry tub woes!

Old 01-07-07, 06:30 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Exclamation Laundry tub woes!

Hi All,
I have an old house with a double-tub concrete laundry tub. The washing machine and water softener drain into these tubs. Today, I noticed that it was draining slowly, so I unscrewed the p-trap, and low & behold, the nut securing the tailpiece to the bottom of the tub disintigrated. I went to the hardware store & bought a new plastic tailpiece & plastic nut, along with a new tailpiece washer. So far, I have not been able to get that nut threaded onto the old brass fitting under the tub. Everything is really corroded from the salt, so I used a wire brush to clean things up as much as possible. Still, no luck.
This tub weighs a TON, so I'd like to reuse it if possible.
Any suggestions on attaching that tailpiece to the tub? Rethreading? Plumber?
Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 01-08-07, 06:54 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Try a tubuler fernco.

Old 01-08-07, 09:50 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
When messing with old plumbing replace everything you can touch it will save you a lot of headaches, mixing galvanize, copper, plastic never works with old stuff. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 01-09-07, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
You won't get a plastic nut ring to fit a brass tailpiece. You will have to use a metal one.

Old 01-09-07, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the replies, folks!
After further inspection, I have noticed a lot of hairline cracks & damage due to the water softener salt discharging into the concrete sink. I have decided to remove the sink completely, and replace it with a new single-tub plastic sink. It will free up some space, since I don't really have any need for two bowls.
Tomorrow I will be smashing that 300 pound sink into pieces with a sledgehammer!!
Thanks,

Old 01-12-07, 05:14 PM
Follow-up...

Well, I smashed that old sink to kingdom come, and installed a new plastic sink. New piping, no problems!
Now...What to do with all that smashed concrete & rebar?
Hmmm..

Old 01-12-07, 05:47 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Call your local trash pickup department. They usually pick up items that can not be put out in the trash.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: