Copper pipe with Red or Blue lettering?

Old 01-09-07, 01:38 PM
Copper pipe with Red or Blue lettering?

I am going to upgrade all the supply lines in my old house from soft 1/2" copper pipe to rigid 3/4" copper pipe.

But I happened to notice at HomeDepot that they have 10' foot sections of 3/4" copper pipe with Blue lettering and Red letting. And there is a big price difference of like $8 per pipe.

What is the primary difference between the two?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-07, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by jayhitek View Post
I am going to upgrade all the supply lines in my old house from soft 1/2" copper pipe to rigid 3/4" copper pipe.

But I happened to notice at HomeDepot that they have 10' foot sections of 3/4" copper pipe with Blue lettering and Red letting. And there is a big price difference of like $8 per pipe.

What is the primary difference between the two?
Here is my understanding, and I am NOT a plumber!

M/Red is lighter duty, generally used for hydronic heating. It is permitted by code for domestic in SOME areas.

L/Blue is a medium grade, suitable for domestic or hydronic heating.

Differences are wall thickness from what I understand.

For the few dollars difference, go with the Blue/L grade piping. It is less likely to develop problems from corosion (acidic water), erosion, etc. Depending on your local codes, you may have to use L grade regardless.

Old 01-09-07, 03:12 PM
I just found this on How To section in the website:

Copper pipe also comes in various thickness, designed for different applications.

Type M is the most common type of copper pipe sold. Relative to other copper pipes, it's relatively thin walled, but it does meet most building codes and is used in lots of residential construction primarily for running water pipes to fixtures. Type M copper pipe is marked with red lettering.

Type L pipe is thicker walled and used for providing water services or where the pipe will be exposed. Some contractors will use type L for home construction, and building codes in some jurisdictions do require Type L for residential building. Type L pipe is identifiable by its blue lettering.

Type K is the thickest and is primarily used for running pipe from water mains to a meter or in underground lines. Type K pipe is marked with orange lettering.

--
I guess my question now is.. What do most plumbers use in my situation?
I am running new pipe from the meter to the hot water tank and out (pretty much all the horizontal feeds.

Old 01-09-07, 05:30 PM
Type M is actually fine, but some jurisdictions require only type L inside, so check with your inspector.

Old 01-10-07, 09:00 AM
That's the answer I was looking for. Thank you for the help.

Jay

Old 01-10-07, 09:08 AM
Wink

Like said check code for where you are. Most use M
Dont forget to use 95/5 solder also