Vibrating pipes & cold weather

Old 01-14-07, 10:14 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vibrating pipes & cold weather

The last 2 days have been extremely cold here and both mornings I have had vibrating pipes that rattle the whole house. I have wrapped outside pipes, let water run , and taken all the precautions I have been told to. The vibrating stops when I run the kitchen faucet but returns shortly after I turn it off. This occurs even after laundry, showers, and other water has been run earlier in the morning troughout the house. Is this because of the cold and what else can I do to remedy this? Help!

Old 02-09-07, 10:25 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have read about this type of problem, never experience myself, but it seems due to air an pressure, there is a device called "hammer pressure" something like that, it looks like a can, it needs to be installed close by the line that is making the noise, it absorbs the vibration therefore, there will not be more noise on your pipes. In my house will be really easy to install one of those since everything runs down the crawl space, but if you have a newer home and have not access to the pipes then I do not know.

I am pretty sure someone with more experience in this forum can answer this or explain it better than I did. Just as a reference there is a B&D book, plumbing book at Homedepot that explain this issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: