Complete plumbing overhaul?

Old 01-15-07, 07:22 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Complete plumbing overhaul?

I am currently renovating a circa 1920's house in Virginia. The plumbing underneath the downstairs bathroom was a mess (I was aware of this when purchased) and we recently pulled up flooring in that bathroom and adjacent room. Looking at it today with my plumbers it seems to make the most sense to replace all of the supply lines to the area as they branch from there to the rest of the house. This is where the supply goes to the upstairs kitchen (duplex) and will run to the new adjacent kitchen. It is also where the waste leaves the house. Currently all supply lines are 1/2 inch and it turns out that this is also the size of the galvanized pipe coming into the house. My plumbers would like to see me replace the glavanized piping from the street (city water) and start over with 3/4 plastic supply lines . . . . this also lets them remove a lot of old piping that was used in a kitchen which we are turning into a bedroom.

MY question: Should we replace all of the working copper piping in order to get 3/4 supply to the water heater and back and around the house. Also, they plumbers would like this to be time and materials because its renovation. . . is that normal? I am going to be helping them as much as possible with gutting and running piping through the crawl space. . . .

thanks for any advice.

-nalle

Old 01-15-07, 08:56 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Yes... then you won't be hearing water in the pipes to nearly the same degree. If things spread out from the water heater location too much of a length consider hot water recirculation. Your plumber sounds like he wants to do it right. 3/4" will help the noise and also give better balance between fixtures such as flushing when showering, but on the downside there will be twice the volume of water having to come out of the tap for every foot where 3/4" replaces the 1/2". So if it's 20 seconds now and 15 are replaced, then it will be 35 seconds after the change. Doing a recirc now should be far cheaper than later and water should never be wasted. As long as the recirc loop is well insulated, you'll be more comfortable and more green. But first it'll cost you some... ;-)

Old 02-10-07, 07:44 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advantage of PVC over copper?

Hey Who -- I am curious as to what the advantage is of using the PVC. Is it just that it makes the house quieter? It seems like Nalle could use 3/4" copper to replace the 1/2", and I'm just curious, for my own knowledge, of what the benefits of PVC might be. If there are advantages to using PVC, it's something I would consider, too, at a point when I am making changes in my plumbing system. :-)

Thanks!
~erin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: