piping size help for Steam shower

Old 01-16-07, 08:54 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
piping size help for Steam shower

I am planning to setup steam generator and shower sprays in the shower. I have 1/2" sized pipes going into the bathroom. the steam generator documentation says it would need a 3/4" pipe...i checked with plumbing supply store...they said people connect 1/2" pipe to generator and a 3/4" pipe from the generator into the shower ...plumber also confirmed that he had done that before without any problems...

Would it be an issue later on ? In case I have to replace 1/2" to 3/4" ...do i have change both cold and hot water pipes...not sure if steam generator uses cold or hot water

Old 01-17-07, 04:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just as we indicated in previous posts concerning this application, your most important consideration will be the supply of enough water. Your plumber knows best, but a decreased flow of water will exist moving it from a smaller pipe to a larger pipe. The generators I have seen operate on a dedicated water heater prior to the generating system, and are plumbed with 3/4" all the way from the supply. Operating it off your domestic water heater will leave your supply of hot water lacking in the remainder of the house as well as when you go to take your shower after steaming, so a dedicated water heater would be best.

Old 01-17-07, 07:41 AM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I just installed the Kohler Sonata steam shower with a Kohler 5KW steam generator. Our house isn't quite finished yet, so we haven't fired things up to try it out. But, the (cold) water supply to the steam generator is only 1/2" copper and the steam outlet pipe to the shower is only 1/2" copper as well - 1/2" is the generator outlet size as well as the steam head fitting size. The generator doesn't use much water because when water boils its volume expands 22.4 times, so a little water becomes a lot of steam. Maybe that's why your generator wants a 3/4" outlet pipe. The hot and cold water supply to our shower is only 1/2" because we only have one shower head.

I really don't see any problem with your setup. Hope this helps.

Old 01-17-07, 08:23 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks....that did help. may be i should just go with Kohler also

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: