Sewer line question-clean out caps

Old 01-17-07, 12:32 PM
Y
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sewer line question-clean out caps

This is likely a stupid question. We have City-Sewer, and our house sits 15' above the line at the road. Obviously the sewage flows downhill from our house, to the city line.

There are 2 clean-out caps in the line, out in the yard. From time to time, the lawn-mower can chopped these caps off, leaving the sewer line open to the atmosphere.

Here's the question. Does a sewer system rely on any type of pressure/vacuum to operate properly, or is it totally Gravity driven? I'm just wondering if the efficiency of my homes drainage would be decreased in any when when the caps are damaged/removed.

Thanks!

Old 01-25-07, 01:48 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's totally a gravity-driven system. Those cleanouts do serve a purpose if you ever have a clog and a plumber needs acces to the piping to get things flowing again, so i would be sure to fix the broken caps before debris, etc. gets trapped in the piping.

Old 01-25-07, 05:19 PM
Y
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks, that's what I figured. I did replace it, but it sticks up some, and I'll likely saw it off with the mower again. I tried putting it in upside down, so that the high part is inverted down into the drain, but I couldn't get enough grip to turn it.

Anyway, pulled a little grass out and sealed it up. thanks for your reply

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: