Leak at cold water line near shut off valve

Old 01-17-07, 03:01 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Leak at cold water line near shut off valve

We woke to water leaking from the sink cabinet in the kitchen. It "seems" the leak is coming from the nut adjacent to the shut off valve. When we turn off the cold water, the leak is reduced to a trickle--but still there. What would be the best way to repair this without calling a plumber? We tried tightening the nut but afraid to tighten too much. Does the entire line from the cold water faucet to the turn off valve have to be replaced? The line is a flexible coil. Would just replacing the nuts do the job? Thanks a lot. We've had a week of freezing weather (20's) -- could this have created the leak?

Old 01-18-07, 04:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Is the leak worse when you turn off the faucet? If so, it appears the leak is up near the faucet connection and trickling down the pipe. If you suspect it leaking at the cut off valve, is it at the bottom nut or the top feed line nut? If the sink is located on an outside wall, it could have some detrimental effects on water, especially if insulation is limited. A good idea is to leave the cabinet doors open at night when the temps are at their lowest to allow room air to circulate in there.

Old 01-18-07, 10:50 AM
A
Unhappy Leak at cold water line near shut off valve

When the faucet is turned off, the leak is not worse and I don't feel any water trickling down the line. When the cold water valve is turned off there is still a leak, about a tablespoon every few hours. The leak seems to be at the bottom of the back chrome hexagonal nut (diameter opening about 16 mm). This nut is the last one before the pipe enters the back wall. As I face this nut, do I tighten clockwise? We gave it a slight turn, about 15 degrees but afraid to overtighten and cause more damage. Can I try to tighten it more? The sink is at an outside wall. . Can freezing temperatures cause the nut to loosen? Thanks for any help.

Old 01-18-07, 12:34 PM
M
Do you know where the whole house water shut-off is? You might need that, in case this is an older nut that has weakened. actually, you might want to shut it off, just in case... Then try tightening the nut some more.

A 'better" approach, with the water off, would be to back the nut all the way off, and put some teflon tape over the threads ( wrap in same direction as nut tightens) and re-seat the nut. As you do this, you will probably note that this has a compression fitting on the copper supply line "under the nut". If the pipe isn't damaged you should be able to re-insatll the nut and tighten down. I usually like to hold the faucet with a pair of channel lock- water pump pliers while reefing on the nut with the appropriate sized wrench.

To state the obvious, the nut would tighten clockwise when looking at it from the back of the faucet ( which would be counter-clockwise when approaching the rascal from the wall side).

Old 01-18-07, 02:10 PM
A
The leak is down at the shut off valve not anywhere near the faucet. I do know where the whole house shut off valve is and can turn it off. The obvious is not so obvious to me--as I am sitting down facing the bolt that is screwed onto a pipe that comes straight out from the wall (parallel to floor) do I tighten clockwise or counterclockwise?

Old 01-18-07, 03:13 PM
K
You have copper pipe. Its a compretion valve. Hold the valve still. turn the nut. It turns the same as a nut and bolt.

Old 01-18-07, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
If the nut is behind the valve, you will hold the valve with one wrench and turn the nut counterclockwise as you face the wall, since actually tightening the nut will be bringing the nut closer to you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: