Finding main sewer line???

Old 01-18-07, 09:12 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Finding main sewer line???

I want to connect some plumbing to the main sewer line leaving the house but I am not sure where the line is??

Is there a logical point to start breaking the cement at? I was thinking maybe the main stack cleanout will open in the direction that the main line goes to??

Any ideas???

thanks in advance...

Craig.

Old 01-22-07, 11:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Some, perhaps most, rooter companies have a locator tool that can find the building drain for you.

Old 01-27-07, 11:22 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Could I unscrew the cleanout on the main stack and fish a coat hanger or something in to see if I can figure out a direction??

Also: I have broken cement in several new house with a sledge hammer and some sweat. Someone told me i would be crazy to attempt this with a 1961 house because he said the slab would be way thicker??? Any opinions on this too?

Old 01-27-07, 12:43 PM
nap
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The coat hanger thing; don't see how it would work. As an electrician, I feed fish tapes (long x 1/8 wide) and cannot tell what direction it is going. I am well experienced and sometimes miss when it is even passing through a bend in the conduit let alone what direction it is actually headed. I doubt you'll have any success with the coat hanger.

Do you have municipal sewer or private septic system?

If a private system, locate your septif tank first.

If municipal, see if you can locate where the tie in with the main is. Your local sewer department may have a location noted in their files.

From either of those two points, you may be able to us a long smooth metal rod and BY HAND ONLY, work it into the ground hoping to hit the sewer liine.

I don't know what you line is made off. If metal (cast iron) a metal detector .
would locate it.
If clay (more probable), it would be more difficult.

In either case, be aware the local health department or sewer department or building department may have rules and regs you must follow. You do not want to simply run somethng into the line withou the proper p-traps or such as required. The situation could actually be deadly depending on what you are actually doing if installed improperly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: