stop and waste valve repair?

Old 01-19-07, 12:05 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
stop and waste valve repair?

My stop and waste valve for the outside faucet no longer shuts the water off totally. Can this valve be repaired with a washer? The valve is soldered in place so it would be difficult to replace. The valve has a nut on the valve stem. If I take this off can the stem be easily removed and a new washer installed? Is it possible to replace the seat inside as well?

Thanks

Old 01-19-07, 02:31 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lenkob
My stop and waste valve for the outside faucet no longer shuts the water off totally. Can this valve be repaired with a washer? The valve is soldered in place so it would be difficult to replace. The valve has a nut on the valve stem. If I take this off can the stem be easily removed and a new washer installed? Is it possible to replace the seat inside as well?

Thanks
Remove the nut (some valves can have more than one nut or bushing that has to be remoived) and unscrew the stem and examine it.Either it needs a new washer or more repair than that but you won't know until you look.Depending on the level of damage if it is more than a worn washer it may or may not be repairable.The seats to these valves are usually not repairable.Some of the high end valves may have a grindable seat but most just have a hole in the metal casting.Seats are not often the cause of valve leaks.

Pull the stem and take it to a hardware store not a big box.Consult qualified help to determine what you need for your valve and whether it needs replacement or not.If the lip that holds the washer in is damaged,the screw is broken off or can't be removed etc. they can tell you if this is repairable or not because it may or may not be.It may also need new stem packing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: