Question on Running Gas Line

Old 01-20-07, 06:40 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question on Running Gas Line

I would like to plumb a gas line in my garage for a 20k BTU natural gas space heater. There is a 3/4" steel gas line running across the attic to feed a stub for a gas grille. Is there any type of coiled flexible hose available so I could set up a quick connection (similar to air lines/I have a straight quick connect hose that came with my gas grille) in the ceiling? This would be perfect because I could easily disconnect the heater in the spring when it's not needed. I don't suppose a coiled air line would pass code would it? For that matter, I have a crimper for 3/8 air hoses (crimps brass or aluminum ferrules at the fittings) and was wondering if I could use any of that. Thanks for your guidance and information.

Old 01-21-07, 07:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Don't quick disconnect gas in the attic, nor use air hose to carry gas. Go ahead and install a permanent 1/2" copper line to your application, and if you want to remove it in the spring, you can turn it off with a ball valve at the wall, unscrew it, and cap it off until winter. How far away is the gas grill line from your garage, and can you access it in the attic?

Old 01-21-07, 09:22 AM
J
I didn't mean that I wanted to install a quick connect in the attic. I meant cut the line somehow, (that goes to the grille stub, which is just outside a side door) , and plumb a permanent 1/2" stub through the ceiling with a ball valve and female quick DC. I also have a gas water heater in a closet in the garage but because of the way it's set up, I can't figure out a way to get a permanent 1/2" line through the wall. By this I mean, I tried to drill a 7/8" hole (actually 2) in the raised floor inside the WH closet but there are 2 bys running so close together, I don't see a way to get a hole in it that a 1/2" pipe would fit through. So, I drilled a hole through the sheetrock on the side wall of the closet and then one from the outside wall so they intersected at right angles. There was a 2x4 in the wrong place (which I drilled through) that won't allow enough room for an elbow due to a copper water line just behind it. I'm not a novice at figuring things like this out but, I can't seem to figure out a good way to do this. I will say that a short flexible SS line will barely fit through the sheetrock holes and allow me to hook this up to the WH stub with another flexible hose but, I don't like it. I would use 1/2" steel pipe but the measurements would have to be precise and I surely wouldn't be able to get the lengths I needed. I know you probably aren't getting all of this because it's hard to explain. If you are interested in helping me, I guess I could take some pics to help explain my situation. Thanks, Joe

Old 01-21-07, 09:46 AM
J
I just had a thought...the space heater I'm planning on using/trying is an old Montgomery Wards with grates. Could I convert this to LP or are the conversions proprietary? Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: