downstairs condo neighbor's sink backed up

Old 01-22-07, 09:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy downstairs condo neighbor's sink backed up

my downstairs neighbor is telling me I have to have a plumber out to the property to unclog a "common line" which is causing his kitchen food disposal sink to back up. He says he he hears me plunging the sink during the day, but I am at work and he unclogged it last year and therefore it is my responsibility this year. I do not put grease or anything down my sink that would clog up anything inlcuding my own line. Am I responsible for his back up? Is there truth to a "common line" problem? Please help.

Old 01-22-07, 10:49 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Do you belong to a condo association? Check your contract to see what it specifically states as to who is responsible for what when it comes to problems associated with common sewer lines. Most associations have a plumber for common line problems. Sometimes back flow prevention (check) valves are installed where units share common lines to prevent back flow from other units.

The problem may be a result of tree roots clogging the line further down the line from the downstairs unit and may not even be a result of anything either of you did. It may be a venting problem where the vent stack to the roof is clogged. It may be a problem beyond the building and is the city's responsibility.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: