Cleanout Removal

Old 01-27-07, 12:01 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cleanout Removal

I am in the process of gut-rehabbing my downstairs bathroom. I have removed the old flooring down the plank subfloor. I will be laying new plywood over the plank subfloor, followed by CBU and ceramic tile. My problem is that there is something attached to the drain/vent pipes that extends to a height about 2" above the plank subfloor. With my plywood, CBU, and tile, it will still extend above the level of the finished floor. I'd prefer not to have this thing sticking up through my floor. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to lead anywhere, so I hoping that I can just cut it out, remove the 90-degree elbow, and cap it off. I have posted some pictures so hopefully it'll be clear what I'm talking about.

Is there anything I need to be aware of before I rip this thing out?
Thanks for your help,
Jim

Old 01-27-07, 12:27 PM
It "looks" like a cleanout and also has the looks of drum trap.

Removing it shouldn't be a problem; just provided access to the drains.

IF you remove that and discover the piping is in much needed repair, keep taking it out and replace it with PVC so you don't have to do it twice.

Old 01-27-07, 12:39 PM
G
Thanks, Dunbar. I'm going to go ahead and remove it. I have a plumber coming out next week to relocate some supply and drain lines, so I guess I'll keep it on hand and see if we need to do something more than just cap it off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: