frost-free hose bib problem

Old 01-29-07, 06:55 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
frost-free hose bib problem

I have a frost-free hose bid that works well under regular conditions. However, last night i left a hose attached to the bib and the bib froze. I disconnected the hose and the knob wouldn't budge. I took a hair dryer and heated the outdoor portion of the bib and then went into the basement and heated the indoor portion of the bib all the way to where the bib connects to the feed pipe. I heated each portion of the bib's pipe for about 3-5 minutes. Then I felt the pipe and it was almost hot to the touch. The knob still won't budge. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

Old 01-29-07, 07:17 PM
nap
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
the only reason I can think of for the handle not turning is there is still ice inside the bib. Sometimes it takes quite a while to melt ice that is enclosed like it would be in the bib.

I would continue to heat for quite a bit longer . I wouldn't think the hair dryer would provide enough heat to damage the seal washer which is the only other thing that I can think of that would restrict the handles' movement.

One thing to watch for though. A freeze-proof bib such as this can be damaged from the water freezing in the bib. It can expand and split the body of the thing and require replacement.

Old 01-29-07, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

last night i left a hose attached to the bib and the bib froze.
Thats a NO NO for sure .When it can get cold always take the hose off. Around here I think most of the homes have had a new freeze-proof bib in them one time or another.
With nap. After they cant open somtimes and if so they leak outside all the time . Id turn the water off to this hose bib till I can check it . Could be bad and will leak inside the home. If you put a new one in make sure it runs down hill a little to the outside

Old 01-30-07, 04:56 AM
N
hose bib

Thanks for the info. I'll try heating it some more. John

Old 01-30-07, 07:41 AM
Frozen hose-bib

Agree with ED IMEDUC, leaving anything connected to the bib will destroy its ability to drain.

You can try heating more, but I think that the freeze caused damage to the bib that you can't see, lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Old 01-30-07, 03:58 PM
N
Originally Posted by shacko
Agree with ED IMEDUC, leaving anything connected to the bib will destroy its ability to drain.

You can try heating more, but I think that the freeze caused damage to the bib that you can't see, lots of luck.

What kind of damage could there be that it won't even budge? I can see that if it has freeze damage it would leak, etc, but the knob won't turn, its like it was still frozen. John

Old 01-31-07, 09:10 AM
anti-freeze hose bibs

Originally Posted by noplumber
What kind of damage could there be that it won't even budge? I can see that if it has freeze damage it would leak, etc, but the knob won't turn, its like it was still frozen. John
They don't always leak, sometimes the freeze will cause a bulge in the outer shaft of the bib and create too much friction for the handle to work.

What you can do is to loosen the packing nut behind the handle and see if that has any effect, if not, I think that you are going to get more frustrated trying to solve this; replace it. Best that I can do without being there. Luck again.

Old 01-31-07, 09:26 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
I think your going to need a lot more heat than a hair dryer, put a propane torch on the faucet outside and heat it until all the remaining water runs out, it will gurgle and steam but will eliminate the water, then turn it on and check inside for leaks. Have a nice day. Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: