kitchen sink water backup

Old 01-30-07, 04:45 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
kitchen sink water backup

I am in need of some plumbing assistance. I recently put new cabinets, sink, and dishwasher in my kitchen. I put new plumbing in also. The problem I have is when I let the water run for about 30 seconds it will start to backup into both sides of the sink. I tried liquid plumber and that didn't work. I also fixed some of the PVC pipes so they were running on a very small decline towards the main drain. I know noticed my dishwasher has water in it and I'm assuming because of the backup the water is going into the dishwasher considering I don't have an airgap.

I don't have a garbage disposal. I have a double sided sink with a basic U shaped setup with a P trap. The pipe doesnt go dirctly back to the wall, it goes about a foot to the side and then back to the wall. I have the PVC pipe connected at the wall to an iron pipe with a coupling.

Any help would be great in solving my water backup problem. Thank you

Old 01-30-07, 07:10 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Did your original sink (before the remodel) drain slowly? If the answer is yes then you probably have a clogged drain. If the existing drain piping in the wall is galvanized steel then you probably need to replace it as simply snaking it won't help.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear.

Old 01-31-07, 04:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I just remodeled a bathroom for a customer and installed the sink last. Original galvanized drain pipe with an elbow at the top for me to hook up my waste arm. It was too close for me to properly install a p-trap, so I unscrewed it from the main drain line below. It was totally occluded. No way to use. I replaced it with pvc, and am thankful I just didn't "hook it up" blindly. So I agree, replace the galvanized, especially if it is only 1 1/2" or 1 1/4".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: