AAV vs. reg. venting

Old 02-02-07, 12:12 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AAV vs. reg. venting

Hello, I'm installing a new bathroom and have a couple of questions. I will be installing a shower, seperate tub, sink and toilet.

1) Can I connect all to a single 1 1/2 vent in basement run up and connect to 3inch in attic to send through roof.

2) Should I just use an AAV (air admit valve) on all?? Code legal in Rockland County, NY?? Do they last???

Thanks, This venting thing is getting me confused, the more I read the less I know. Thanks Eric

Old 02-02-07, 01:58 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
IMO, and AAV is a band-aid and should be avaoided whenever possible. The toilet may require a 2" vent (it does in my jurisdiction), other than that, yes, conventional venting as you describe is the best and proper way to go. I suggest you get a copy of Taunton's 'Codecheck Plumbing' (available at Amazon or some of the box stores), it explains and deciphers the code requirements for lay people in an easy to read and understand format.

Old 02-03-07, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Venting

Originally Posted by feihin
Hello, I'm installing a new bathroom and have a couple of questions. I will be installing a shower, seperate tub, sink and toilet.

1) Can I connect all to a single 1 1/2 vent in basement run up and connect to 3inch in attic to send through roof.

2) Should I just use an AAV (air admit valve) on all?? Code legal in Rockland County, NY?? Do they last???

Thanks, This venting thing is getting me confused, the more I read the less I know. Thanks Eric
Agree with formula, AAV's are not a true vent, you never use them unless you don't have any other option. Most codes that I work with require a 2in. vent when you have a toilet connected; best that I can do, lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: