Damaged Closet Flange

Old 02-03-07, 02:14 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Damaged Closet Flange

I am in the process of rebuilding a toilet in the basement. Upon removing the toilet from the floor I found a very rusted and broken cast iron waste flange. I cannot reuse it because one side is broken off where the bolt would be. The entire waste system is in concrete. The waste pipe is 5" in diameter. I purchased a replacement flange but I am at a loss as to how to remove the old one without destroying the surrounding floor or having to remove and redo concrete. I can slip a puty knife under the flange. The pipe starts out as 5" and as it goes down it appears to get smaller. Everything els is ready to go I just need to get the old broken flange out and a new one in. I even tried to use a smaller flange and wedge it in but the i.d. is just greater than the o.d. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I have tried a repair ring but after drilling the holes and trying to screw it on with "Tapcon" screws they broke off halfway into the concrete.

Last edited by rich132; 02-04-07 at 09:16 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-04-07, 10:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pictures would be very useful to better help in your situation.

Instead of using tapcons, go with the use of a masonry bit and plastic sleeve anchors and use stainless steel screws to anchor the new flange to the floor.

You will need to use a flange that will work off the insides of the pipe inside the floor. They make an expanding flange by Oatey that compresses a rubber sleeve which forces it to expand and conform to the pipe, thus making a positive seal.

This along with anchoring the flange to the concrete floor will resolve your problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: