Gas Meter Installation

Old 02-04-07, 01:45 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Meter Installation

Hey,
I'm running into trouble with The Southwest Gas Corporation,which takes care of my area in Arizona.They say that they have to istall my gas meter on my property and turn around and charge me for the extra footage to do so.The oroginal was installed outside my property line and so are most of the others around my area.they say because they have had trouble with people running into their meters they now require the meter be put on the homeowners land.If anyone out there has any information on this I will be truly greatful.It sounds a bit communistic to me to make someone install the meter on their property and charge them for doing it ,it doesn't make sense.Maybe I can turn around and charge them rent for putting it on my property.
Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 02-04-07, 07:18 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Have you talked with your neighbors? Are they also going to have to pay to have their meters moved onto their property? If so then I think you will just have to bite the bullet.

You could try asking the gas company if they would accept your installing bollards (concrete filled steel pipes driven into the ground) around the meter to protect it from being hit. Of course that may be rather ugly.

You could also try asking your state utility commission about this. It seems to me that since the gas company is the one who wants to relocate the meters that they should pay for it.

All this is assuming that you are NOT just now requesting a new gas service.

Old 02-07-07, 02:09 PM
A
Hey,
I contacted their corporate office and they sent the e-mail back to my local office. I ended up with the same answer. If I want my service to be connected I have to let them put the meter on my property. I will contact the state utility commission and see what they have to say.It sounds like a monopoly to me,I mean they will force me to put the meter on my land then charge me to do it. well,I thank you for the response.

Old 02-07-07, 05:00 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Must be a northern thing. ALL utility meters (gas, water and power) are on the owners property here in florida.

Water is just inside the property line, gas and electric are typically next to or on the home.

Old 02-07-07, 06:11 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Uh, Pendragon, did you notice that the original poster is from Arizona? Hardly what I would call northern.

In my area it is the same as yours, water meter is at property line, gas and electric meters are at the house.

A Brewer, so this IS a new installation. The utility company has obviously changed its service requirements between when your neighbors had their gas installed and now. They have that right and what you gave as their reasoning sounds reasonable to me.

Yes, utilities ARE monopolies. They are also regulated by the state.

You're just going to have to bite the bullet on this one...or do without gas service.

Old 02-08-07, 10:06 AM
A
Hey,
Thank you all for the replies.I'm still going to contace the State Utility Corporation and see what they have to say.
Thank you again

Old 02-08-07, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A Brewer, my gas company (ONEOK) is doing the same thing as far as moving meters from the alley or property line to next to the house. Two reasons: one is to minimize damage from traffic, and the other reason is safety; the gas company is now responsible for the entire underground section of service line, and will check annually for leaks and repair at their cost if necessaryl Previously, any leaks on the line from the property line to the house was the homeowner's responsbility.

HOWEVER, my gas company is moving the metersets for FREE, no cost whatsoever to the customer!

Old 02-09-07, 10:59 AM
A
Hey,
If something happens to that meter you can be held liable for any and all damages.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: