Shower Temp Adjustment

Old 02-05-07, 11:26 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Shower Temp Adjustment

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGH! My evil landlord finally fixed my shower unit, but he installed the shower valve so that i can't turn the water up to the nice, hot yumminess that's the only thing that seems to wake me up in the morning. i can understand wanting to save the cost of all that hot water, but this is too cruel! Even turning the water-heater all the way up to compensate hasn't worked... i hate to be the stereotypical woman about this so i tried to get in there and fix it myself, but after i got the knob off, i was stumped. i don't want to start drinking coffee again, either, as it gives me migraines... can somebody please tell me what to do after i pop the twisty-knob's middle cover off and remove that phillips-head screw???????

Old 02-06-07, 04:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! First thing, go back to the water heater and turn it back down to a normal mid range temperature. You may have created a danger in turning it up too high. Now that you have the handle off, you will see a small gear. This is a limiting gear that prevents you from turning it too hot. The landlord is only partially to blame. He installed the unit, but failed to adjust it for you. I am sure he had no evil in his mind, even though he is a man.
Pull the gear off and rotate it to the left and reinstall. This will allow your handle to move more to the hot side. Test it and repeat as necessary to get your blood moving. Now, I gave you a generic situation, since you didn't say what brand and model you have, but most are build similarly, so you should be able to figure it out after you understand what the innards do. Let us know how you fare, or if we can help further.

Old 02-17-07, 12:50 PM
S
Smile you rock, chandler!

now what ever gave you the idea that i think men are inherently evil??? it's LANDLORDS (and landladies, if you wanna get all PC about it) that are from H-E-double hockey sticks... anyway, thank you for your brilliant advice; now that i finally got around to actually trying it, my waking life is gloriously RESTORED!!!!!! since that's all taken care of, i'm sure i'll get a promotion at work for not slumping on the pole (i'm an exotic dancer), i'll move into middle management, i'll quickly build up enough savings to put down on an apartment bldg of my own, and i'll be able to make some poor tenant's life miserable*sigh*... So thanx again, chandler. if you're ever out San Francisco way, you gotta let me treat you to a tofu steak, K?

Old 02-17-07, 01:07 PM
Glad to be of some help. San Francisco....let's see, that's New York City and take a left....That's the directions Mapquest gives us here in the south.

Old 02-17-07, 01:13 PM
S
Exclamation leaky toilet base????

do any of you handyhotties out there know what my evil landlord is doing wrong on this one? story as follows...

when i first moved in, landlord says "oh, and by the way, put your toilet paper in the wastebasket rather than flushing it because the pipes are "delicate". i kinda just looked at them (it's a couple) funny, but i did try not to overdo the wads. when the rainy season comes, the pipes start backing up and they tell me it's my fault, but when they go down to fix it, they find out that the non-contractors they used to install the flush pipe put in the wrong size (like, the pipe in the ground had a full moon or "o" shaped mouth, but the pipe that connected the bowl of the toilet to the ground pipe was all half-moon shaped).

next, the toilet started leaking at the base. i told them about it and they said it was my fault because i sat on the toilet too hard, or maybe (said they) i stood on it. when they went to fix it (with the noncontractors) they found that the leak was actually under the toilet, and had rotted away much of the surrounding wood. they tore the floor up (grudgingly) and replaced it, keeping the toilet.

Now, the leak has started again. I've tried to move out of the damn apartment twice, but each time the *******s keep giving me bad references, not because i've actually done anything horrible but (and they admitted this to me) because i'm a quiet (if messy) tenant, and i pay way over the stsndard for this rathole, and they like my money. If i can't move out, i'd like to be armed with some knowledge; what the hell kind of leak is this, and what do they have to do to fix it for good????? Any farfetched idea will be appreciated....

Old 02-17-07, 01:21 PM
It is possible the toilet is sitting on tile and the tile sits above the flange. It would behoove them to use a taller wax seal or double seal to ensure they don't have leaks. Is the toilet bolted securely to the flange? Does it move from side to side?

Old 02-20-07, 11:18 PM
S
toilet woes

thanx for the response! i tried wiggling the toilet (which was a first) and it gave not an inch... but they put more seal on it everytime i tell them it's leaking down there. it's weird, 'cause you'd think with all that seal the leaks would've stopped, but no... i'll run that tile thing by the next handyperson who they send in....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: