Clogged Drain

Old 02-07-07, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Clogged Drain

Searching through the carpet section got my some new carpet at a great installation price.... and didn't need to ask anything! Excellent Forum!!

Now to a different situation, the kitchen drain was clogged, then got some frozen water backup as it's been very cold. I used a snake, hot water and some deicing melt/sodium chloride to get this far. Had to remove some pvc in the utility room to work this backwards as well. Have cement slab between kitchen and utility room. Worked great, except....

Now, I have one more blockage in one spot, and am wondering if it could be that I put too much deicing salt in the drain.....

Will ice melt and water create a cement solution??? If so, how could you break through it???

Thanks!!! Any ideas are welcome!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-07, 08:22 AM
Frozen pipe

A: You don't put de-icing salt in a drain line, its not designed for that use.
B: Depending on how much salt you used, it could create another clog if it can't be diluted enought to go down the drain.
C: If you created a clog with the salt the only way that I can see is to snake it out.
D: If you are having frozen water in the drain pipe thats the problem that you have to solve, water in a drain pipe should not freeze. Lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Last edited by twelvepole; 02-07-07 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Quote deleted. Quoting entire post is not necessary to reply.
Old 04-06-07, 02:10 PM
Thumbs up end of story

To finish up the story here for those searching... what was it in the end? It was calcium buildup inside the drain pipes. (No water softener in house.) Using a masonry bit attached to the end of the snake finally allowed a break-through. Then repeated snaking and flushing to get the broke-up chunks of calcium out of there.

Happy camper.

Old 04-06-07, 03:03 PM
Many deicers are calcium chloride! Made from limestone. Not a good thing for drains. Too, deicers are considered to be pollutants and should not be put down drains.