Quality of new vs old Pex crimp rings...

Old 02-07-07, 04:37 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quality of new vs old Pex crimp rings...

I've noticed a new type of pex crimping ring. It looks like the ring on my CV joints for my car. It looks like part of the ring bunchs up as apposed to the old one that is completely the round before and after.

The old crimp tools are very expensive but I've seen the new one is pretty cheap. Almost a 1/5 of the price, but the crimps are more expensive. Since I will not be doing too many crimps I don't mind spending more on the rings. I just don't want to spend the $200-300 on the old style crimp tool. The new style is only about $50. I also am sick if renting this tool.

Anyway, my question is: Is the new crimp as strong as the old. I've done a bunch with the old with no problems. I have to install a water softener soon and want to buy a crimp tool.

Thanks.

Old 02-07-07, 10:15 PM
W
I think they are just a different style of crimp, not necessarily new vs old. Everyone seems to have their own proprietary system.

Old 02-08-07, 03:17 PM
A
I think you're talking about the Oetiker side-crimp system, you can use a single tool to crimp most sizes of pipe. It uses a stainless-steel clamp which gets pinched at a single point on the side. It's an approved crimp method.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: