How to get lose old corroded galvanized pipes?

Old 02-09-07, 09:01 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to get lose old corroded galvanized pipes?

Hi,

I have a quick question on how to get old corroded galvanized pipes lose. The water main coming from the street is old galvanized and is corroded on the outside (I know I have to replace this soon), I need to install a Pressure reducer and a new Shut off (ball) valve.
I got my plumber wrench and tackled the job, guess what?, I could not even get the thing to move, it laughed at me!, I do not want to cut it with a recip. saw since I will be using the threads to get the other stuff together.

I thought of WD40 but I have not used just yet, I read about heating the union with a torch, but have not done so yet, is there any tip out there that I can use?.

Please let me know and Thank you all.

Old 02-09-07, 09:24 AM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bigger torch (the pipe has water inside, right?) and a bigger wrench.

Old 02-09-07, 10:14 AM
F
Yes, It does have water in it, the actual setup is kind of like this (old house 1950),
- main water come from street to crawl space (1"Galvanized-it looks like it, it is so corroded)
- Then has a 90o elbow (going up), then a niple (about 12")
- Then a shut off valve with a tiny hole in the middle that leaks (small drops but leaks)
- Then comes another 12" niple with a 90o elbow
- and then a big 6-8" straight galvanized pipe (all 1") which then connects to regular PVC, yes I said Pvc, whoever did the job on this house just run regular pvc for hot and cold lines, also they straped the pipes to the joist with whatever they have handy, such as: shoe lazes, Cloth hangers, metal straps, electrical wiring, you name it.

The main water at the street is shut off, but I still get water leakage inside the house. Not to worry, since I am installing everything new, I am also guessing that the old shut off valve gotta be bad.

Thanks for the tip, I will try the torch and the bigger wrench.

Old 02-10-07, 11:34 AM
W
You might try tapping the joint to loosen it up. Be sure to support the joint when torqueing on the wrench - you don't want to break anything.

Old 02-10-07, 02:40 PM
J
I was removing pipe like this and had a piece break, I had to get an extractor, like a big easy out to remove the broke piece from the meter. This worked so well I just cut a lot of pices and used the extractor on the water heater and a couple of other places the pipe couldnt just be cut and ripped out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: