random rattling pipe noise

Old 02-09-07, 10:56 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
random rattling pipe noise

ok, I just moved into a condo and I get these random loud rattling noise (sounds like a helicopter taking off.. lasts for about 20 seconds) at seemingly random intervals during the day. I'm pretty sure it's not tied to hot, or cold for that matter, water usage because it doesn't happen during or immediately after water usage. just random times. I shut off the water, and it still happens.

I called a plumber and he said it's because of the cold weather that the pipes are contracting and expanding, and it'll eventually go away when warmer weather comes. I don't buy that since it happens even in the middle of the night when water hadn't been used for hours! however, i can't deny it makes a tiny bit of sense since I notice the noise happens more frequently at night.

the noise is driving me NUTS!

does anyone have experience with this?

thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-07, 01:44 PM
D
Rattling pipe noise

Hi, are you sure it's not a heat duct causing the noise. I had that problem and thought it was a water pipe. It would come in contact with a very close water pipe when the heat kicked on.

Old 02-11-07, 08:25 PM
H
Re: random rattling pipe noise

Hi, I have had the same problem with noises in a townhouse I moved into recently. Did you find any more information that has been useful? If you did, could you please post/email it? Thanks a lot!

Old 02-12-07, 12:51 PM
J
thanks Duke for the suggestion. I actually turned off everything (heater, water) last night and the sound is still there (but at a lower volume). I called another plumber so let's see what he says.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: