Pleas help, water heater hot water supply pipe leak

Old 02-10-07, 03:50 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pleas help, water heater hot water supply pipe leak

I damaged the connection between the copper pipe and cpvc pipe when installing a T for the humidifier. The connection is now loose and leaking. The hot water supply copper pipe comes out at the top of the water heater vertically, about a foot long and is fitted to cpvc pipe which goes to the rest of the house. I pushed the horizontal cpvc pipe out of the way when installing the T, this probably put too much torque to the vertical cpvc and the copper pipe connection. Any advice what I shoud do to repair the leak is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-10-07, 07:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Buy a flex water heater outlet pipe and fit it to the water heater and then to the cpvc. You didn't state whether the copper or the cpvc was damaged.

Old 02-11-07, 06:21 AM
B
Thanks chandler. Neither the copper or cpvc pipe was damaged, just the connection is loose. I could turn the the cpvc pipe inside the copper pipe but couldn't pull it out. The copper pipe has a two-stage flare where it meets the cpvc, some yellow solvent was used. I used some pipe wrap to fix the leak temporaryly. How do you fit copper flex pipe to the cpvc pipe?

Old 02-11-07, 11:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Cut the cpvc and install a male adapter to it with glue. Hopefully the cpvc is 3/4", as that is what size flex connector you will be buying. It has female connectors on both ends, so there should be a male close nipple installed in the water heater. This way, the flex will simply connect to the nipple and to the mail connector. They have rubber washers in them, so no special prep is necessary. Makes it alot easier to make a water heater exchange, too.

Old 02-18-07, 08:47 AM
B
Thanks Larry. I went to Lowe's last night and saw they have flex pipe and cpvc-to copper transion adapter, but I am not clear how to connect the adapter to the flex, the male adapter has thread but the flex diesn't? I don't want to deal with soldering if all possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: